Mold has had its 15
minutes of fame over the last few years.
Though the hype has died down, mold is still
an important issue. Customer complaints
require home builders to have a fast action
plan; both to clean up the mold problem
and to show customers a quality home builder
is looking out for their health and safety
and the durability of their home.
There are two important
things to remember about mold: prevent it
by doing things right the first time and
when you do face mold, take care of it immediately.
Ensuring that your warranty team follows
a process for mold remediation will take
care of the latter.
Molds produce tiny spores to reproduce.
Mold spores waft through the indoor and
outdoor air continually. When mold
spores land on a damp spot indoors, they
may begin growing and digesting whatever
they are growing on in order to survive.
There are molds that can
grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
When excessive moisture or water accumulates
indoors, mold growth will often occur, particularly
if the moisture problem remains undiscovered
or un-addressed. There is no practical way
to eliminate all mold and mold spores in
the indoor environment; the way to control
indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
Mold Removal Company in your Area Below:
The key to mold control
is moisture control. It is important to dry
water damaged areas and items within 24-48
hours to prevent mold growth. If mold
is a problem in your home, clean up the mold
and get rid of the excess water or moisture.
Fix leaky plumbing or other sources of water.
Wash mold off hard surfaces with detergent
and water, and dry completely. Absorbent materials
(such as ceiling tiles & carpet) that
become moldy may have to be replaced.
Things You Should
Know About Mold
Potential health effects and symptoms associated
with mold exposures include allergic reactions,
asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
is no practical way to eliminate all mold
and mold spores in the indoor environment;
the way to control indoor mold growth is
to control moisture.
mold is a problem in your home or school,
you must clean up the mold and eliminate
sources of moisture.
the source of the water problem or leak
to prevent mold growth.
indoor humidity (to 30-60% ) to decrease
mold growth by: venting bathrooms, dryers,
and other moisture-generating sources to
the outside; using air conditioners and
de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation;
and using exhaust fans whenever cooking,
dishwashing, and cleaning.
and dry any damp or wet building materials
and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent
mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent,
and dry completely. Absorbent materials
such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may
need to be replaced.
condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation
on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping,
exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding
areas where there is a perpetual moisture
problem, do not install carpeting (i.e.,
by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks,
or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent
can be found almost anywhere; they can grow
on virtually any substance, providing moisture
is present. There are molds that can grow
on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
on Mold Remediation:
Mold Remediation: Saving your House
from Mold Menace
Mold is a type of fungi that covers a surface
in the form of downy or furry coating. Neither
plant nor animal, it is part of a group
of living organisms that are very common
and serve many beneficial purposes.
For the full article click
Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your
is mold growing in my home?
Molds are part of the natural environment.
Outdoors, molds play a part in nature
by breaking down dead organic matter
such as fallen leaves and dead trees,
but indoors, mold growth should be avoided.
Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores;
the spores are invisible to the naked
eye and float through outdoor and indoor
air. Mold may begin growing indoors
when mold spores land on surfaces that
are wet. There are many types of mold,
and none of them will grow without water
For the full article click
. .What is it all about?
has certainly made its way into people's
homes as well as the headlines recently.
Many people still don't fully understand
the health hazards of fungal exposure.
The term toxic mold is somewhat misleading
as it exudes an idea that certain molds
are toxic, when actually certain types
of molds produce secondary metabolites
that produce toxins. The correct term
is mycotoxins. Airborne mycotoxins from
can definitely destroy one's health. Sometimes,
people are unaware that they are breathing
mold spores and mycotoxins until they
are very sick. Certain people have a minor
allergic reactions to the non-toxic mold,
but once you leave the affected area they
most likely recover with few serious side
effects. However, if they have been exposed
to the dangerous molds such as Stachybotrys
or Chaetomium, they could suffer from
a myriad of serious symptoms and illnesses
such as chronic bronchitis, learning disabilities,
mental deficiencies, heart problems, cancer,
multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue, lupus,
fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple
chemical sensitivity, bleeding lungs and
For the full article click
The Whole Picture Pt. 1
Mold is fascinating, despite the
fact that it can be destructive and unhealthy,
even deadly sometimes. For me it is an intellectual
challenge, almost like playing a magical
game of chess with an opponent who can become
invisible, change into an animal and back
again at will, or continue making his moves
after he is obviously dead.
(This is not as imaginative as it sounds.
Some mold can change at will into a form
with a different species name. It can even
change into yeast, and back again. Its color
and other visible features depend on the
temperature of its environment and what
it has been eating. The toxins and volatile
organic compounds released by the organism
continue to affect competing species, including
humans, after the mold itself is dead.)
We know what mold can do to collections,
but this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Mold is also a problem in medicine and public
health, agriculture, composting operations,
indoor air quality, building construction,
historic preservation, and even social history.
Considering all these together, its importance
is immense, and a growing amount of research
in many of these fields reflects this. A
conference on mold in any one of these fields
attracts specialists from other fields,
and an intense cross-disciplinary exchange
of information can result, which is quite
stimulating. For the full article click
The Whole Picture Pt. 2, Assessment of Mold
Part 1 (v.23 #4) emphasized the
preservation community's need for better
contact with fields that carry out research
and generate information about mold. These
fields include medicine, public health,
agriculture, indoor air quality, building
construction, and historic preservation,
in addition to mycology. The history and
nature of mold were discussed, and several
websites and publications were cited.
The plan for this series does not include
a review of preservation literature or procedures
on mold, because the scope is so broad already.
The first signs of a mold problem are
often deceptive: a moldy smell in part
of a building, tired employees who are
said to be suffering from colds or allergies,
or visible mold growths on walls or books
in certain locations. They are easy to
ignore and hard to interpret, so health
and building problems may not be investigated
right away, although affected items may
be cleaned or fumigated. (Note: Mold problems
from fire or water disasters are not considered
here, because they usually cause explosive
mold growth, rather than typically chronic
or recurring growth.) For the full article
in My Home: What Do I Do? ABOUT MOLD What
are simple, microscopic organisms, present
virtually everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
Molds, along with mushrooms and yeasts,
are fungi and are needed to break down
dead material and recycle nutrients in
the environment. For molds to grow and
reproduce, they need only a food source
– any organic material, such as
leaves, wood, paper, or dirt— and
moisture. Because molds grow by digesting
the organic material, they gradually destroy
whatever they grow on. Sometimes, new
molds grow on old mold colonies. Mold
growth on surfaces can often be seen in
the form of discoloration, frequently
green, gray, brown, or black but also
white and other colors. Molds release
countless tiny, lightweight spores, which
travel through the air.
am I exposed to indoor molds?
is exposed to some mold on a daily basis
without evident harm. It is common to
find mold spores in the air inside homes,
and most of the airborne spores found
indoors come from outdoor sources. Mold
spores primarily cause health problems
when they are present in large numbers
and people inhale many of them. This occurs
primarily when there is active mold growth
within home, office or school where people
live or work. People can also be exposed
to mold by touching contaminated materials
and by eating contaminated foods. For
the full article click